The Scottish Licensed Trade Benevolent Society, known as The BEN, has teamed up with the Scottish Licensed Trade Association (SLTA) to sponsor five Hospitality Industry Trust (HIT) Scholarships.
Launched by Hospitality Industry Trust (HIT) Scotland back in 1994, the programme sees the Trust, and partners, identify and reward future leaders of the hospitality industry by providing invaluable scholarships to leverage their career. Offering local, national and international training opportunities, the scholarships allow recipients to update their skills within the industry, enhance personal development and bring fresh ideas back to Scottish businesses.
In 2016, The BEN and the SLTA have sponsored five placements across a range scholarships including:
- Lausanne (Management) Scholarship where recipients attend a two-day management and leadership course at one of the world’s most prestigious hospitality management schools, the Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne;
- London Capital Gains Scholarship which combines theoretical learning at Glion's London campus, within Roehampton University, and operational experience which enables scholars to take relevant skills and information back to their own establishment;
- The Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) Level 4 Scholarship which is a nationally accredited qualification to develop leadership skills and improve operational practices;
- Mixology Course – The candidate will travel to a location such as the Intercontinental Hotel or the Met Bar in Mayfair, and under the tutelage of some the World’s top bartenders, learn about the variety and composition of cocktails, development of cocktail lists and gain a wide understanding of equipment and suppliers.
- Social Media Scholarship which embraces all the new technologies available to support the business in reaching new markets.
Ailsa Duncan, who participated in a recent scholarship course said: “The HIT Scholarship was an excellent opportunity and I feel very lucky to have been selected.
“Even though we are improving skills for our own businesses, the opportunity to learn with, and from, industry peers was an invaluable experience and I’d highly recommend the Scholarships to anyone working in the hospitality sector.”
Commenting on the initiative, The BEN’s chief executive, Chris Gardner, said: “While we support many members of the licensed trade industry facing difficulties, the HIT Scholarships provide a great opportunity to help develop some of the trade’s brightest young minds.
“The SLTA and HIT Scotland are key supporters of The BEN so it was nice we could give something back and work together on the Scholarships initiative. We’ve already received very positive initial feedback from recipients which makes it all worthwhile and gives us strong motivation to be involved in next year’s programme as well.”
SLTA Chief Executive, Paul Waterson, added: “We recently conducted trade research which showed that 94% of our Nations licensed premises were investing more in training. Our involvement in these career changing HIT Scholarships reinforce our commitment to the Scottish Hospitality and Tourism Industry.”
David Cochrane from HIT Scotland said: “HIT Scotland is delighted to be able to broaden the reach of the scholarships to a greater industry audience though our collaboration with The Ben and the SLTA. The opportunities available are immense and the feedback from the scholarships has been very beneficial to businesses. We look forward to the next round of scholarships and welcome applications from people of all ages!”
Applications for the 2017 HIT Scotland Scholarship Programme will open on Thursday 29th September 2016.
The BEN offers social, financial and emotional support to former and current members of the licensed trade facing difficulties in life. As well as its general day-to-day support, the charity also owns the BEN Pitlochry Estate, consisting of 18 bungalows, where it provides accommodation for current and retired members of the industry as well as ‘Respitality’ breaks for carers.
More information can be found at www.hitscotland.co.uk/scholarships-bursaries/scholarships/